I seriously have no idea why most pâtés cost so much at the grocery store, it’s extremely inexpensive and easy to make at home.
1. Hard boil 3 eggs, cool, peel and set aside in a bowl.
2. Dice an onion and fry in a healthy amount of butter (I used goose fat because it’s 100 times tastier than butter) until golden brown and caramelized.
3. Fry about 2 cups of chicken livers and a small handful of fresh parsley in with your onions, season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
4. Add 1/4 cup red wine.
5. Once the livers are cooked and the wine has reduced remove the parsley, place everything in the bowl with the eggs and use a hand blender to pulse the mix into a smooth and creamy paste. Got a blender? Throw everything in there and blend away.
6. Fold in a few green onions and smoothed the pâté into a mold and let it cool in the fridge for an hour.
1. Start making the jelly once the pâté has cooled.
2. Open a small packet of unflavored gelatin granules, mix with 2 tablespoons of brandy and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. Sauté 4 garlic cloves with some butter (or goose fat!), season with a little salt, pepper, a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of allspice.
4. Add the gelatin to the garlic with 2 tablespoons of water and a splash of red wine.
5. Bring to a boil then remove from heat. Let cool for a minute then slowly pour over the pâté.
5. Cool in the fridge for about 30 minutes until the jelly takes.
Go and buy a large tub and keep it in your freezer, use it instead of butter, you’ll use a lot less because it’s so flavorful.