For best results, marinate the beef in paprika, soy sauce and oregano the day before.
2-3 cups stew beef, cubed (bite sized)
2 large onions, chopped
1 cup carrots, cubed (small)
2 celery stocks with leaves or a few sprigs of lovage
4 cups beef stock
4 large cloves of garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons paprika + 2 tablespoons for the flour coating
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon fenugreek and/or thyme
4 whole cloves
2 bay leaves
For cooking: oil and butter or goose fat
Egg noodles (papardelle)
- Mix flour, salt and paprika in a bowl.
- Coat the meat with the flour mixture.
- In a large pot brown the meat (at high heat) on all sides in oil and goose fat.
- Remove from pot.
- Lower the heat to medium.
- Cook onions in the same pot with the drippings until they turn translucent.
- Add the carrots, garlic, celery and a little butter or goose fat with the onions, cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the meat, seasonings and stock.
- Simmer for 2 hours or until the meat is tender and the sauce has reduced. (This should only take 1 hour if you have a pressure cooker).
To thicken the sauce make a roux:
- Equal parts flour and butter or goose fat.
- Heat in a pan (medium heat) and whisk until smooth.
- Let cool for a few minutes then slowly whisk the roux into goulash.
Serve on top of thick egg noodles and add peas and/or sour cream.